Does skin naturally darken with age?
The more melanin you have, the darker your skin. If you have a tan, light from the sun or tanning bed has increased the amount of melanin in your skin, so your skin becomes darker. If you’re a sun worshipper, you are more prone to develop skin discolorations as you age.
Why is my skin getting darker with age?
The change in color happens when there is overproduction of melanin, the pigment normally found in the skin, forming deposits that darken the skin color.
Does black skin age?
Darker skin can show age more slowly because it has more melanin (dark pigment that determines sun sensitivity). The more melanin you have, the more protection you have against photoaging, or skin damage from too much exposure to the sun’s rays.
What causes skin darkening?
If your body makes too much melanin, your skin gets darker. Pregnancy, Addison’s disease, and sun exposure all can make your skin darker. If your body makes too little melanin, your skin gets lighter. Vitiligo is a condition that causes patches of light skin.
How can I stop my skin from darkening?
How to get rid of hyperpigmentation
- Avoid exposure to the sun. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect the skin and stop hyperpigmentation from becoming darker.
- Avoid picking at the skin. To prevent hyperpigmentation from forming after an injury, avoid picking at spots, scabs, and acne.
Why is my face black and my body fair?
Our face skin produces more melanin compared to the rest of the body parts, so our face skin is generally a bit darker. The harmful rays of the sunlight can damage the melanin cells and as the face is more exposed to sunlight, it is the first to be impacted. … You can try different home remedies to lighten the skin tone.
What are some disadvantages of dark skin?
Disadvantages in low sunlight
Dark-skinned people living in low sunlight environments have been recorded to be very susceptible to vitamin D deficiency due to reduced vitamin D synthesis. A dark-skinned person requires about six times as much UVB than lightly-pigmented persons.
How can I reduce melanin production?
- According to a 2012 study in Phytotherapy Research , the active compound in turmeric may reduce melanin synthesis. …
- Aloe vera may reduce melanin production after sun exposure. …
- People also use lemon juice to reduce skin pigmentation. …
- Green tea has a compound called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).